[xquery-talk] Article: "Five Practical XQuery Applications"

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Tue Aug 19 10:00:22 PDT 2003

Actually, my reading of the article is that the examples are entirely
hypothetical, I don't read them as case studies of things that people
are doing today.

Certainly it would be pretty crazy using XQuery for these applications
today, given that they can all be done very easily with XSLT, which
might be a bit more long-winded but is at least a stable specification
with many robust implementations.

What articles like this do show is that there seems to be considerable
interest in using XQuery for "transformations", not only for database
queries. Once both specs are stable and have mature implementations, I
think there's going to be a lot of debate about which language to use
for which purposes.