[xquery-talk] Article: "Five Practical XQuery Applications"

Mark R Maxey Mark_R_Maxey at raytheon.com
Tue Aug 19 08:53:50 PDT 2003

I'll throw out the use cases I'm looking at - using web services against
heterogeneous data sources.  We have a number of data sources - RDBMSs,
Excel docs, and proprietary formatted files - which we want to allow to
be exposed via web services, i.e., provide services which queries the
data sources and returns large XML docs.  Sometimes, these queries are
for reporting purposes.  Sometimes, its to gather meta-data information
for cataloging.  We hope that updates are added to XQuery so these same
clients can someday submit XML via some service we provide and have it
placed in the appropriate data source.

Michael Kay wrote:

>Actually, my reading of the article is that the examples are entirely
>hypothetical, I don't read them as case studies of things that people
>are doing today.
>
>Certainly it would be pretty crazy using XQuery for these applications
>today, given that they can all be done very easily with XSLT, which
>might be a bit more long-winded but is at least a stable specification
>with many robust implementations.
>
>What articles like this do show is that there seems to be considerable
>interest in using XQuery for "transformations", not only for database
>queries. Once both specs are stable and have mature implementations, I
>think there's going to be a lot of debate about which language to use
>for which purposes.
>
>Michael Kay

Mark Maxey
(972)205-5760