[xquery-talk] Re: [Qexo-general] New XQuery article

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Wed Dec 31 11:01:18 PST 2003

> A nice little intro.  Here are some notes.
>
>  > Saxon is a complete implementation of XQuery.
>
> The Saxon web site says Saxon 7.8 implements "most of .. the working
> drafts".  The conformance page says "Saxon is 100% conformant to the
> mandatory requirements of these recommendations."  I'm not sure what
> Miachels means by this statement, as there are some known bugs.

The "these recommendations" in this sentence refers explicitly to XSLT
1.0 and XPath 1.0. Saxon makes no conformance claim against the XSLT
2.0, XPath 2.0, or XQuery 1.0 specifications; it includes a list of
restrictions (facilities that are not implemented) and uses wording
carefully chosen to avoid any claim that this list is complete.

>  > Saxon puts an XML declaration in front of every element in the
> sequence when they are printed.
>
> Probably not - I assume just every document node or top-level element.

Actually, every document node or element that is "in the result
sequence", as distinct from elements that are output because they are
descendants of a node that is in the result sequence. But in fact,
Saxon's output format is highly configurable.