[xquery-talk] Re: [Qexo-general] New XQuery article

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Wed Dec 31 10:13:37 PST 2003

Michael Kay wrote:

>> > Saxon is a complete implementation of XQuery.
>>
>>The Saxon web site says Saxon 7.8 implements "most of .. the working
>>drafts".  The conformance page says "Saxon is 100% conformant to the
>>mandatory requirements of these recommendations."  I'm not sure what
>>Miachels means by this statement, as there are some known bugs.
>
> The "these recommendations" in this sentence refers explicitly to XSLT
> 1.0 and XPath 1.0.

Sorry for misreading this.

But you do seem to agree with my main point that saying "Saxon is a
complete implementation of XQuery" is premature!  (Though it appears
to be a bit further along than Qexo.)

>> > Saxon puts an XML declaration in front of every element in the
>>sequence when they are printed.
>>
>>Probably not - I assume just every document node or top-level element.
>

> Actually, every document node or element that is "in the result
> sequence", as distinct from elements that are output because they are
> descendants of a node that is in the result sequence. But in fact,
> Saxon's output format is highly configurable.

Yes.  It's just that the phrase "every element in the [result]
sequence" open to misunderstanding.
--
	--Per Bothner