[xquery-talk] BumbleBee XQuery Test Harness

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Thu Oct 16 03:55:41 PDT 2003

> Yes, some vendors serialize an xs:double without the .0 but
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#double says this is
> incorrect and the
> .0 is necessary.  In the 1.0.1 release we updated a few test results
> accordingly.

We've had great difficulty getting everyone to agree on the rules for
converting doubles to strings, partly because it's hard to get people to
focus their attention on something so trivial. In Saxon, I have stuck to
the XPath 1.0 rules until now, partly because I didn't feel that the 2.0
rules were stable yet and partly because they are unusable (e.g. in
XSLT, chapters numbered 2.0e0). The WGs have now agreed the rules and
they will appear in the next versions of the specs. In rough terms, the
output will follow the XPath 1.0 rules for numbers in the range 1e-6 to
1e+6, but will use exponential notation outside that range.