[xquery-talk] XQuery Platform Support

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Mon Oct 20 18:58:09 PDT 2003

> I do not need to do any transformations.  I am only
> interested in querying XML to determine if a condition(s)
> exists. I've only done one project with XSLT and I did not
> like the syntax.  With this project I am currently working on
> I need the ability to generate XQuery expressions on the fly
> from a relational database that I have designed.  The
> database contains conditions entered by a business user. The
> database is built on a hierarchy of rules, conditions and
> expressions. A rule can contain multiple conditions, a
> condition can contain multiple expressions.  From the
> research I have done it seemed quite a bit simpler to generate XQuery.

That might be true for you, though there are plenty of people using XSLT
meta-stylesheets to generate XSLT, and it's often quoted as being one of
the (few?) advantages of the XML-based syntax of XSLT that it makes it
easy to generate a stylesheet as the output of a stylesheet. The fact
that XQuery isn't XML does make it quite tricky to generate an XQuery as
the output of another XQuery.