[xquery-talk] questions about security and dynamically constructed queries

Dhruba Borthakur dhruba_borthakur at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 21 12:51:57 PDT 2003

Hi XQuery gurus,

I would appreciate it a lot if someone can throw some light into
a few elementary questions about XQuery that I have. Thanks in
advance.

dhruba

1. Most of the XQuery implementations that I am familiar with
   supports security at the database level. An user connects to the
   repository using a loginname/password. Once authenticated, the user
   can run queries against all the data in the repository.
   Is there any implementation that associates security per
   document (or collection)?

2. One XQuery implementation (that I am familiar with) has implemented
   vendor extensions that allow constructing and executing a query
   dynamically. Do other implementations support a similar functionality?

3. In my XQuery code, I want to discover if a particular library is
   available. Only if it is available, I want to execute a function in the
   library. If the library does not exist, that I want to proceed ahead
   and do other things. Can I do achieve this functionality using only
XQuery?
   (I know I can do this from a Java wrapper that looks at a specified
   pathname and constructs a dynamic query (prefix an import
   statement) if the library module at the specified path exists.)