[xquery-talk] BumbleBee XQuery Test Harness

Jason Hunter jhunter at servlets.com
Sun Oct 26 18:11:02 PST 2003

Michael Kay wrote:
> I have finally got around to downloading this and trying it out. Thanks,
> you've done a good job, and it's very nicely packaged.

Thanks, Michael.  I'm glad you're finding it useful.

> The vast majority of Saxon failures on the NIST tests, as far as I can
> see, fall into one of three categories:
>
> (a) facilities documented as being unimplemented (e.g. integers > 2^63)
> (b) tests where the spec is unclear or changeable on what the result
> should be
>     (e.g. "12.0" versus "12" as the output)
> (c) tests where the reference results seem to be plain wrong, e.g.
>
> Query:
> <results>
>        {-(xs:decimal("-99999999999999999999"))}
>       </results>
>
> Actual Result:
> <results>99999999999999999999</results>
>
> Expected Result:
> ERROR
>
> I wonder where these expected results came from?

As you probably know, the tests from NIST contain queries but no
results.  We used tools and human verification to generate complete
scripts.  We added comments in the .bee files about known shortcomings.

> And how do we move
> forward now, to keep the tests and the expected results accurate against
> the spec?

We're working with Carmelo (who posted here earlier) so that his future
NIST tests will have results as well as queries.

-jh-