[xquery-talk] General comparisons of speed of xquery vs. xslt

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Wed Apr 28 21:36:34 PDT 2004

It's true that dataflow analysis is difficult if the stylesheet makes heavy
use of template rules - though there are processors that attempt it, for
example from conversations with Jacek Ambrosiak I think Gregor does a lot of
this kind of thing, and I suspect that datapower's XSLT engine does as well,
though it's a commercial product with no details published.

Of course I could defend my thesis on one level by saying that the
stylesheet author doesn't have to use template rules. Almost every XQuery
construct has a direct equivalent in XSLT (there are some trivial
exceptions, for example the capabilities of "order by" are slightly
different) and if the XSLT author confines himself to the subset of XSLT
that is available in XQuery, then it's obviously true that an XSLT processor
can apply exactly the same optimizations.

However, I think most of the optimizations that are generally useful can be
achieved in XSLT without imposing this constraint. For example, the vast
majority of cases where path expressions don't need to be sorted can be
detected statically without great difficulty. Also, one shouldn't
underestimate the potential of optimizations where decisions are deferred
until run-time, which means they can be made with the benefit of instance
information that's not available statically.

XSLT's "2 language" architecture does make global optimization a bit
difficult, because the tendency is to engineer the two language
implementations as separate components each of which is handled
independently. That's not a stopper, however, and I think the higher
performance engines depart from this model. And in some ways it makes life
easier, because the run-time architecture for the two languages can be
significantly different.

Streaming in XSLT 1.0 was actually easier than in 2.0, some of the new
facilities we have introduced (which mimic the way XQuery specifies tree
construction) make it more difficult. In 1.0 XPath evaluation typically used
a "pull" stream while XSLT instruction evaluation used a "push" pipeline,
and this worked very well. In XQuery the natural technique is always to
pull, which means you end up doing more tree construction and copying than
is necessary. The optimizer has to do a lot of work to prevent this. The
non-composability of XSLT (XSLT instructions can't be nested inside XPath
expressions) gives it a great advantage here, which still exists in 2.0,
although it's not so clean if people make heavy use of function calls rather
than templates.

Generally I think that if there is a speed difference between processors
(for example MSXML4's XSLT processor is often reported to be three or four
times faster than the XSLT processor in .NET) then the difference seems to
apply fairly uniformly across a wide range of stylesheets. This suggests to
me that the speed difference is not primarily due to the smartness of the
optimizer, which would give very variable ratios for different stylesheets.
Rather, it has a lot to do with the general tuning of the code and in
particular the efficiency of memory management. For many single-document
transformations the performance is dominated by source document parsing,
tree construction, sorting, and serialization, (and stylesheet compilation
if you count that in) and no amount of optimization is going to make a big
impact on that.

Michael Kay

  _____