[xquery-talk] General comparisons of speed of xquery vs. xslt

Edward Gillespie email at edgillespie.com
Wed Apr 28 03:42:48 PDT 2004

Are you sure, that XSLT generally is faster than XQuery?

We did an independent benchmark.

1.  Oracle XQuery implementation
2.  Saxon XQuery implementation
3.  Xalan XSLTC implementation
4.  Saxon XSL implementation

We found that the Oracle XQuery implementation used with the Oracle Parser
was indeed the fastest.  Oracle's implementation is far from being complete.
So we've chosen Saxon.  Now, of all people to suggest that XQuery is slower,
I run across your posting :)

In the case of both XQuery implementations we are seeing results (100's of
milliseconds) better than using XSLT?  Although this is not, necessarily, an
apples to apples comparison; the numbers have led us to believe that the
XQuery implementations are faster.

We also toggled between the Oracle XML Parser and Xerces.

We are doing an XML to XML transformation on one to thousands of documents.
The stylesheet is the same in all cases.  However the xml data is different
in each transformation. Simply, we are doing single document
transformations.  The sizes of the documents range from small to large.

Ed Gillespie