[xquery-talk] XQuery needs to prohibit variable redefinition

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Thu Jul 15 16:08:30 PDT 2004

Michael Kay wrote:

>>There is no reason why the Core Language can't allow
>>redefinitions, even if the User Language doesn't.
>>
>>After all, the names added by Normalization are in the 'fs' namespace,
>>which users can't access anyway.
>

> You're preaching to the choir.

I suspected that.  But do you think there is any chance we can
get the committee to reconsider?  We do have new data: that many
of the beginner questions we get on this list are the result of
confusing declarations with assignments.  This is a problem.
Prohibiting redeclarations isn't a full solution, but at least it
enables the compiler to reject many of these erroneous programs.
--
	--Per Bothner