[xquery-talk] XQuery needs to prohibit variable redefinition

Daniela Florescu daniela.florescu at bea.com
Thu Jul 15 18:40:57 PDT 2004

Per,

you are of course right.  To be honest I do not remember much of the
discussion and the rationale we had at that time.

I vaguely remember people saying: " XQuery is not an imperative language
and LET is a variable definition, not a variable assignment.
It's not by prohibiting  small issues like this and avoiding this kind
of mistake
  this that will make them understand this important fact."

Otherwise, if we do disallow it, the next comment that we'll have from
customers
will be: "so why can't I write :"

for $i in ...
let $i := $i +1

We will just shift the problem in a different place, but the problem of
understanding what the LET is/does still remains.

But you should try again to raise the issue in the second Last Call.
I think it will have serious chances this time.

Best regards,
Dana