[xquery-talk] suppressing emission of elements if no value

Francis Upton francisu at ieee.org
Thu Jun 10 11:33:07 PDT 2004

I have an application where I am generating XQuery and have a requirement
that if there is no value for an expression, it should not generate an element.

So I would like something like:

   element x { a/b }

to emit nothing, assuming a/b is empty.

This expression emits <x></x> when a/b is empty.

The only way I can think of to do this is to wrap a condition around it like:

   if (a/b) then element x { a/b } else ()

Is there any other way to approach this?  I don't like wrapping an if
statement around it because the "a/b" can be quite complex and time
consuming to compute and there could be quite a number of these in the
types of documents I'm working with.  I realize this may be something that
some XQuery engines might optimize; if that's the case it's probably fine.

Thanks for your help.

Francis

Francis Upton IV
H/W 510 835 3123