[xquery-talk] Can XQuery include the path to a node in it's answer?

Jason Hunter jhunter at xquery.com
Sun Nov 28 23:49:34 PST 2004

In Mark Logic you can use xdmp:describe().  The function actually takes
any argument (node, sequence, query object) and outputs a helpful
description.  For node types it returns the XPath (including the
appropriate doc() call if any).

http://xqzone.marklogic.com/pubs/2.2/apidocs/Extension.html#describe

The path()/describe() and eval() functions are going to be implemented
by any vendor having to solve problems in the real world.  They're just
not standardized.

You could write a portable describe() for node types if you wanted.  It
would make a good class lab.  Get the document URI, walk the ancestors,
and count the preceding same-named siblings for positional predicates.

-jh-