[xquery-talk] Re: [XOM-interest] [ANN] Nux-1.0a2 - XQuery support for XOM

Wolfgang Hoschek whoschek at lbl.gov
Tue Oct 12 17:29:47 PDT 2004

Eliotte,

Lots of fuzz about a little patch adding one constructor argument to
XSLTransform!

As you are well aware of, the XOM code you refer to retains your
copyright and license (see the source code). Instead of a copy and
paste it is a simple patch adding an additional constructor argument to
XSLTransform, and we've been discussing this patch per mail for a quite
some time now. I'd be more than happy for that patch (or something
equivalent) to find its way into XOM proper, and as soon as that
happens I can drop the patched XSLTransform class. Then, there will be
no XOM code in Nux, and hence no issue. You indicated that that would
probably happen once you've got xom-1.0final out of the door.

Further, you raised the license concern in prior mails, but said you
wouldn't be upset by that patch being in Nux for the time being, so I'm
puzzled.

As far as net.sf.saxon.xom is concerned, I fail to see your point.
Michael Kay (the saxon author) and me have developed that code, and it
is of course under the Mozilla license (again see the source code). As
soon as that code will be released (bundled) with saxon-8.2 that code
can be dropped from the nux codebase as well. Again, you and me have
talked about that before, and this is no news to you.

Lastly, I mailed you and asked for comments before I'd announce the
release. You did bring up interesting and valid technical points for
which I'm thankful, so I'm more than puzzled by your response now,
lacking any kind of community spirit, as far as I can see.

If this athmosphere continues like this, I will soon get close to
dropping all XSL classes and provide independent XSL based on native
saxon rather than TRAX, just like I do with XQuery. Would that be
better in your opinion? The only reason I am not doing this already is
so that XOM users would not get confused by two separate approaches
towards XSLT functionality.

Please clarify.

Those who are interested, please get the source, check it out and form
your own opinion on this.

Regards,
Wolfgang.

Wolfgang Hoschek                  |   email: whoschek at lbl.gov
Distributed Systems Department    |   phone: (415)-533-7610
Berkeley Laboratory               |   http://dsd.lbl.gov/~hoschek/