[xquery-talk] filling in an xquery

David Sinclair dsinclair at teleflex.com
Mon Sep 27 18:13:53 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have found myself writing xqueries that need parts to vary dynamically
at runtime based on user input.    For example, I might want to use an
xquery to drive a user defined search of a library for all the books
containing a certain author, where the user types in this surname in a
search field.

The approach I have been taking is to write the xquery, and then where I
want it to vary putting a JByte tag (see
http://javaby.sourceforge.net/).  So something like this:

    for $book in input()/books
    where $book/author/surname = {v:surname}
        .. format the output I want ...

And then getting JByte to fill in the {v:surname} (and any other
variable bits) for me.  This works,  but I think I would be more
comfortable with it if the xquery syntax and the JByte syntax were not
so easy to confuse.  This must be quite a common nut, and was just
wondering if anyone had come up with a good way of cracking it?

David Sinclair.