[xquery-talk] XQuery Blasts off at NASA

Ronald Bourret rpbourret at rpbourret.com
Wed Apr 20 23:37:44 PDT 2005

Interesting article. Some questions you may or may not be able to answer:

1) What "XML database" is being used? The section, "On XQuery in the
Middle Tier ..." talks about eXist, but it wasn't clear if eXist is the
database against which the XQuery API mentioned in the previous section
is used.

2) Not quite sure I understand the section "On XQuery in the Middle
Tier..." This says that XQuery expressions are being invoked against
eXist, which would seem to be the data (lower) tier. Or is eXist being
used as a mid-tier data cache, as is implied by the first bullet point?

3) Why is the aircraft data "structured in an XML format"? Is there
something about the data that doesn't fit the relational model?

Thanks,

-- Ron