[xquery-talk] early version of the XML Query Test Suite

Andrew Eisenberg andrew.eisenberg at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 11 14:01:48 PDT 2005

The XML Query Working Group and the XSL Working Group would like to
announce the availability of an early version of the XML Query Test Suite
(XQTS) at http://www.w3.org/XML/Query/test-suite/.

This version, XQTS 0.6.0, contains over 7000 test cases, about 60% of the
tests that we anticipate it will have when it is finished. These test
cases are based on the Last Call WD documents that were published on April
4. XQTS contains an XML catalog document that describes the source
documents and schemas that may be used and it describes each of the test
cases. The test queries and expected results are contained in individual
files. XQTS provides test cases for the features required for minimal
conformance to XQuery and for XQuery's optional features. All of the
functions in Functions and Operators are (or will be) tested.

Implementors are encouraged 1) to write a harness for this test suite and
to test their implementations, 2) to report their results to the XML Query
Working Group, and 3) to submit test cases to the XML Query Working Group
to help us complete our coverage of XML Query 1.0. We have provided
guidelines (linked from the page above) to assist implementors in all
three of these steps. We have provided a list of features for which we
would particularly like to see test case submissions.

We will be using Bugzilla to track and resolve bugs that are reported. We
will, from time to time, publish new versions of XQTS that contain bug
fixes and additional test cases. We ask that implementors send us their
results early and then send us new results as the test suite evolves and
as their implementations evolve.

                                                -- Andrew

Andrew Eisenberg
IBM