[xquery-talk] RE: aggregate , grouping

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Thu Dec 22 00:05:37 PST 2005

declare function local:pathOfNode($node)
{
   if(empty($node/..)) then ""
   else concat(local:pathOfNode($node/..), "/", local-name($node))
};

Yes I did wonder if the OP really needed the paths, I guessed not, but
if he did, then yes your code does what he wanted (and mine didn't:-)

> As you can see the query is not exactly simple to write.

The above function is simpler if you have the ancestor:: axis to hand as
then it's just
string-join(ancestor-or-self::node()/name(),'/')

Are there really going to be any Xquery implementations that don't offer
the full axis feature? (If not, why is this feature optional?)

David