[xquery-talk] Call for Papers - Workshop on XQuery Implementation, Experience and Perspectives (XIME-P 2005)

Daniela Florescu dflorescu at mac.com
Mon Feb 7 22:52:33 PST 2005

Second International Workshop on XQuery Implementation, Experience and
Perspectives (XIME-P 2005) June 16-17, 2005

In cooperation with  ACM SIGMOD/PODS Conference 2005

http://www.ximeco.org

Workshop's goal and interest themes

XQuery getting closer to completing its first standard. This is an
important milestone and it is comparable to the SQL86 standard
milestone in the sense that most of the journey is ahead of us. As in
SQL, it is the application of technology that will shape XQuery.
Research prototypes and products will play a key role in enabling
researchers and practitioners in applying and enriching this
technology. The most significant impact of XQuery will be in the areas
that query languages such as SQL are not effective and a simple
translation to SQL is not adequate. Given that XML documents often
contain text as well as parametric data,  deeper integration of IR
technology, both from the viewpoint of functionality and system
implementation, is important. From the viewpoint of content, documents
in XML repository more resemble HTML pages, where an XML repository
must handle a huge variety of document schemas, and accept documents
with new schemas. XML is rapidly becoming the standard for
representation of information that flows in the internet or internets
between organizations. XML repositories need to rapidly adapt with the
evolving schema of the incoming information with no or minimum manual
intervention. This view is drastically different from traditional DBMSs
where the schema evolution of the DB is primarily managed by DBAs.

  The purpose of the XIME-P in this workshop is (1) to gather
researchers and practitioners from academia and industry together
leading to a deeper understanding of what the research areas should be,
and what we need to do in creation of research prototypes and products
which will enable critical applications of XQuery, (2) propose where we
go from here regarding the language functionality, (3) focus on the
DBMS architecture alternatives.

  XQuery implementation

We believe that discussing, comparing, and envisioning architectures
for XQuery implementation can be extremely useful for the SIGMOD/PODS
community.
  Thus,  the XIME-P workshop intends to offer a venue for implementation
overview papers, which may be more difficult to publish in a standard
conference, while very valuable in our view. We welcome system overview
contributions from the industry and academia, characterizing all
aspects of the system (storage, query execution model, query
optimization paradigm if any, supported language features etc.)
Disseminating architectural knowledge and open issues will contribute
to building a global view of what is currently being done in the field
of XQuery processing; the progress in language standardization now
allows  us to compare the usefulness of various approaches, pinpoint
the technical aspects still unsolved, and envision future (and better)
architectures.

XQuery application and experience

In addition to research papers, there is an emphasis on application and
experience papers. To understand the issues involved in implementing
XQuery, and the purpose of the various language features, early
feedback from existing XQuery implementation would be very useful.
Going beyond simple toy queries, we welcome contributions describing
XQuery usage, in any possible application context. We are interested in
exposing the technical advantage of using XML and XQuery in the
considered application, and in users' experience regarding: language
features, volume and nature of data managed, types of queries used,
query processing performance, integration with the rest of the
information system etc.

XQuery perspectives

  While many have started implementing or using XQuery, the language's
future is ahead of us. We aim at considering future applications,
innovative and successful architectures, potential performance
problems, and promising avenues for future research. We will discuss
the potential influence of a very complex standard on academic
research, typically focused on narrower and somehow more limited
problems; on industrial implementations, driven by customers' needs,
and on open-source efforts. How to reconcile complexity and ease of
use? How to optimize the implementation of some language features,
without hurting the rest? Are there interesting, commonly-recognized
language subsets? Which will be the "XQuery success stories" in the
next 5 years?

  Important Dates
  Paper submission deadline: March 28, 2005
  Notification to authors: May 6, 2005
  Final paper version due: May 20, 2005

Workshop co-chairs
Daniela Florescu, Oracle (dana.florescu at oracle.com)
Hamid Pirahesh, IBM (pirahesh at us.ibm.com)

Program committee:
Sihem Amer Yahia  (AT&T Labs Research, USA)
Don Chamberlin  (IBM Almaden Research Center, USA)
Mary F. Fernandez (AT&T, Florham Park, NJ, USA)
Michael Kay  (Software AG, Germany)
H. Kitagawa (University of Tsukuba, Japan)
Donald Kossmann  (ETH Zürich)
Muralidhar Krishnaprasad (Oracle, USA)
Ioana Manolescu (INRIA Futurs, France)
Fatma Ozan   (IBM Almaden Research Center, USA)
Shankar Pal  (Microsoft, USA)
Yannis Papakonstantinou  (University of California, San Diego, USA)
Neoklis (Alkis) Polyzotis (University of California, Sant Cruz, USA)
Jay Shanmugasundaram  (Cornell, USA)
Till Westmann (BEA, USA)