[xquery-talk] position() and atomic values

Peter Coppens Peter.Coppens at datadirect.com
Tue Jul 5 18:37:45 PDT 2005

Although position() can refer to atomic items, the '/' operator can not.
So, the item(s) '/' operates on (the left hand side) has(have) to be a
node(s). That is also why the error correctly refers to '/'. The
position() call as such is not the problem.

You could write what I think you intended as

let $myStrings := ("string1", "string2", "string3")
return
   for $string at $pos in $myStrings
   return
     <string position="{$pos}">{$string}</string>

One example where position() applies to atomic values would be

("string1", "string2", "string3")[position() = 2]

Hth,

Peter