[xquery-talk] XML prologue

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Mon Jul 25 23:27:33 PDT 2005

The XML declaration (as it's correctly known) is part of the serial XML
document, but not part of the data model. It's constructed by the serializer
when the data model is written out to a file. This is because the
information is contains (XML version, encoding) is information about the
serialized file, not information about the data model itself.