[xquery-talk] Default namespace best practices?

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Tue Mar 8 22:07:05 PST 2005

> It might be useful to be able to declare a prefix for an
> empty namespace:

I made that comment on the XML Namespaces 1.1 spec. I think the only reason
they didn't allow it is that the syntax xmlns:p="" can't be used both to
bind p to the non-namespace and to undeclare p. I think XQuery needs to
mimic XML in this area rather than going its own way.

> A missing prefix is in no namespace:
> <:bar/> (: in no namespace :)

Again, a useful idea, but I think XQuery should follow XML conventions.

Names beginning with ":" would scupper smiley comments

count(:bar)