[xquery-talk] VarRef

scott_boag at us.ibm.com scott_boag at us.ibm.com
Mon May 30 03:10:38 PDT 2005

> But, it seeems that, XQuery spec is not using the same in
> such situations.

Hi Sijo.  Which version of the draft are you looking at?  The XQuery
grammar clearly defines S as:

[158]           S          ::= [http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-S]

And later, when defining ignorable whitespace:

Whitespace characters are defined by [http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-S]

Certainly the intention is that the definition of whitespace use is the
same.  If you think you know of something where this isn't the case,
please post to the bug tracking system!

> You could have defined the non-terminal 'VarRef ' as below,
>
> [84] VarRef    ::=    "$" S? VarName
>
> which will definitely help to avoid similar questions.

We could, though the draft is currently clear on this.

-scott