[xquery-talk] DTD Namespaces?

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Fri Nov 4 17:27:55 PST 2005

Namespaces and DTDs are a poor fit, because the DTD treats the prefix as
significant for validation. But the fact is that many established XML
vocabularies (e.g. XHTML and SVG) do use them in combination, and there's
therefore nothing in the XPath data model that disallows the combination.

One of the many problems that was caused by doing namespaces as a layer
above XML instead of in the core.