[xquery-talk] At risk: Static typing

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Mon Nov 7 19:05:54 PST 2005

Liam Quin wrote:
> We need at least two implementations, as determined by the XQuery
> test suite.  The test suite is not immutable -- e.g. if it contains
> errors, we welcome fixes of course.
>
> So an extra implementation could be a great help.

I do intend to implement static typing within Qexo.
Qexo is built on Kawa, which is compiler-based and very type-aware.
However, Kawa's support for XQuery's type system is rather minimal,
and there is a lot to do before at the run-time-typing level (including
validation) before we get to complete static typing.  (I'm hoping I can
do proof-of-concept static typing relatively soon, in the sense of
rejecting some incorrect programs without rejecting correct ones.)

I have no schedule for when Qexo might get static typing.  I have
active users and funding for Kawa-Scheme, so it tends to get more of
my time than Kawa-XQuery.  On the other hand the recently-released
version 1.8 of Kawa had major improvements in XQuery functionality,
so Qexo is definitely moving forwards.
--
	--Per Bothner