[xquery-talk] RE: Test Suite comparison mechanisms

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Sun Nov 13 15:55:42 PST 2005

I personally think it would be much more satisfactory if the expected
results were published in a "wrapped" format, where for example a sequence
of three integers is presented as

<result>
  <value type="xs:integer">17</value>
  <value type="xs:integer">18</value>
  <value type="xs:integer">19</value>
</result>

rather than as

17 18 19

The comparator between actual and expected results could then be expressed
in XQuery itself, giving a boolean result.

It's a bit late in the day for such a change but I think the experience so
far suggests that comparing the output of the serializer has considerable
drawbacks.

The situation can be improved, however, with some simpler fixes:

(a) avoid publishing results that are valid only if whitespace is stripped
from source documents

(b) eliminate any remaining distinction between "Text" and "Fragment"

(c) avoid outputting a trailing newline in "Fragment" output where the query
does not actually generate it

In other words, by insisting that the published results are correct in
pernickety detail.