[xquery-talk] Looking to use XQuery as a reporting language

Nikolas Everett nik9000 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 17:51:30 PDT 2005

I've been looking into ways to do reports from one XML data set to another.
When I found XQuery just last Friday I thought that I had hit the jackpot! A
simple, functional language that both queries and outputs XML. All is going
well, but I am having some trouble with output formatting, and I wonder if
anyone could help me out.

It looks as though function calls can only return three things in XQuery:

1. Some data (xs:string, xs:integer, or whatever)
2. An XML subtree
3. A tuple of XML subtrees

My problem is that I have only found one way to return number 3: the FLWOR
clauses. I am looking for something slightly more general. I would like to
make a function return something more like:
<foo>Some Text</foo>
<bar>Some More Text</bar>

I would read the specs, but they are so huge that I honestly don't know
where to start.

--Nik