[xquery-talk] XQ4J

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Fri Oct 14 23:44:58 PDT 2005

> Jeff Dexter's blog entry this week talks about J4XQ.
>
> "What I'm talking about is J4XQ. If Java can have an XQuery API, why
> shouldn't XQuery have a standard Java API."
>
> http://www.xquerynow.com/dexterblog/j4xq.html
>
> Has anyone in the XQuery world considered this?

If they do, I hope they will

  (a) read http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xslt11-20010824/, and

  (b) understand why the effort was abandoned after a year's work.

That's not to say it shouldn't be done; just that it shouldn't be done
without knowing the history of previous failed attempts.

It should be said that the problems were more political than technical,
though a good part of the politics was that a lot of people argued
vociferously that it was a bad thing to do.