[xquery-talk] XQuery simulation of XSLT 2.0 grouping

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Sat Oct 22 19:48:18 PDT 2005

Interesting question. I don't think there's a better way of expressing this
in XQuery, and yes, the XQuery solution is much more dependent on smart
optimization, which in this case Saxon is failing to achieve. I'm going to
take a careful look at why: the algorithms are there to build an index and
use it, but for some reason the join pattern isn't being recognized in this
instance.

In XSLT 1.0, of course, for-each-group wasn't available, but you could
always use user-defined indexing (xsl:key) to do efficient direct access, so
you were far less dependent on that kind of optimization.

(Actually both the XSLT and XQuery solutions give the wrong answer on my
current build, unless an option is set to prevent whitespace stripping. The
expression tokenize(string(.)) to get the list of words in the document is
dependent on the whitespace between the LINE elements being preserved, and
the Data Model spec now says that whitespace text nodes in element content
should be discarded. The SPEECH elements have element-only content, so the
last word of each line is now run into the first word of the next. I fear
this change in the spec, which I've delayed implementing for a while, is
going to hit a few people.)

Saxon-SA does offer an extension function that simulates the XSLT
for-each-group construct - it's an interesting use case for higher-order
functions - see
http://www.saxonica.com/documentation/extensions/functions/for-each-group.ht
ml