[xquery-talk] XQuery simulation of XSLT 2.0 grouping

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Sat Oct 22 22:10:08 PDT 2005

I've now tweaked the Saxon-SA optimizer to pick up this case. There were two
things getting in the way:

(a) it was only checking the first reference to the variable $corpus to look
for an expression that would benefit from indexing, whereas in this case
it's the second reference that benefits

(b) it was only considering local variables (let $x) for indexing, and not
global variables (declare variable $x).

Bear in mind that Saxon-SA 8.5 was the first version to include join
optimization, and it takes a while for optimizers to mature; they have to be
refined on a case-by-case basis.

The execution times on my machine are now:

Saxon-SA XQuery:   1953/641/801 ms
Saxon-B XQuery:    72874/67898/69220 ms
Saxon-B XSLT:      1182/440/231 ms

(I always make at least three runs when measuring performance - there's an
undocumented option -3 on the command line - to eliminate the effect of Java
VM startup costs)

So the XQuery code is still a bit slower than the XSLT code. This isn't
surprising, because the XSLT code finds the unique values and assembles the
sets of duplicates in a single pass, whereas the XQuery code still does two
separate passes. But the important thing is that it now scales with document
size.

Thanks for contributing the use case! The changes, of course, should benefit
many other queries as well. They will also benefit some XSLT
transformations.