[xquery-talk] First Questions

Jens Teubner jens.teubner at in.tum.de
Sat Sep 10 19:22:03 PDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 08:29:12AM -0300, Elarrat, EFC wrote:

> Hello you guys. I'm totally new in XQuery world, and for first, I
> simply would like to know which one is the best open source framework
> to work with XQuery. I recently downloaded the Saxon 8.5b, but as I
> said, I'm totally lost, and for now i'm just trying to know the best
> tool to work with. Thanks and welcome for me =).

Eduardo,

the xquery-talk mailing list is read by the authors/vendors of various
XQuery implementation.  Raising such a question on this list will
probably be like asking for the best operating system on the Linux
kernel mailing list...

But the question for the ``best'' XQuery framework also depends on your
specific needs.  Will you need a specific programming language binding?
Do you rely on specific optional XQuery features, such as the full axis
feature or static typing, or even update functionality?  And, last but
not least, is the implementation available for your operating system,
with an open source license, or as a commercial product?

On the W3C XQuery page you find a large number of implementations, each
has its own advantages and disadvantages.  I'd thus recommend you to
take this list as a starting point and make your own decision for the
``best'' XQuery implementation.

Regards,

Jens

--
Jens Teubner
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Department of Informatics

                         XQuery processing at lightspeed: MonetDB/XQuery
        http://www.monetdb-xquery.org/ http://www.pathfinder-xquery.org/