[xquery-talk] zero-length string namespaces URI

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Wed Sep 28 13:59:50 PDT 2005

I don't think this *should* be allowed; but I don't think the spec says
clearly that it isn't.

The zero-length string is not a valid namespace URI, though it is used in
some contexts (e.g. xmlns="") to indicate the "not-a-namespace" (for want of
a better term). I think the spec needs to say explicitly that this isn't
allowed. Could you please raise it on http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/ ?