[xquery-talk] zero-length string namespaces URI

Ronald Bourret rpbourret at rpbourret.com
Thu Sep 29 00:13:34 PDT 2005

I agree that such a clarification would be useful, but I believe it is
already explicitly disallowed.

Section 4.2 of the XQuery spec states:

"A module declaration begins with the keyword module and contains a
namespace prefix and a URILiteral. The URILiteral identifies the target
namespace of the library module..."

The Namespaces in XML 1.0 errata states:

NE09: The empty string, though it is a legal URI reference, cannot be
used as a namespace name.

Technically, the XQuery spec should use the term "namespace name"
instead of "namespace URI", but the meaning is clear.

-- Ron