[xquery-talk] XQuery Visualization (GUI) for beginners

Jonathan Robie jonathan.robie at datadirect.com
Tue Apr 11 11:18:29 PDT 2006

kla gw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested to know if there is any tool for XQuery visualization
> (GUI), especially for beginners? So that by using the tool, the user
> can formulate the XQuery by 'drawing' in the GUI (drag and drop, etc)
> without knowing / understanding XQuery syntax.
>
> I have tried Stylus Studio XQuery Mapper and Altova MapForce. But they
> are meant for advanced users / developers, not general / beginner
> users. I have also read about XQBE (XQuery by Example)
> http://dbgroup.elet.polimi.it/xquery/XQBE.html But I feel that the
> visualization is too complicated for beginners.

Hi Klarinda,

In Stylus Studio, were you using the graphical windows, or dragging and
dropping into the text of the query? I work for the same company that
makes Stylus Studio, but in a different group (the DataDirect XQuery
group), and I'm also quite comfortable with XQuery syntax, but I've been
very happy with the Stylus drag and drop for what I do with it: I always
open a window with the text of the query, and drag from the data sources
into the query text to create path expressions.

What would you like your GUI to do, and how much of the power of XQuery
do you want it to support?

Jonathan

--
Read my Blog: http://blogs.datadirect.com/jonathan_robie/