[xquery-talk] xquery with large xml file

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Mon Apr 17 08:48:29 PDT 2006

Per Bothner wrote:
> There is an obvious optimization that would probably help a lot:
> The concat routine could "write" the arguments to the passed-in
> output "consumer", without actually constructing the result.

I implemented this, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.
Probably the cost of calculating '$node/..' or '$j//*' (both of
which could be optimized quite a bit) are overwhelming.  Perhaps
memory contention is the main problem, so that paging and cache
faults are the real problem.

I'll do some more profiling and optimization later, but not know.
I'm planning on making some changes to the "compact node list"
data structure which may make a difference.  (Probably not much
in this particular application.)
--
	--Per Bothner