[xquery-talk] Order of results in XQuery expressions

Jens Teubner jens.teubner at in.tum.de
Mon Dec 4 11:01:16 PST 2006

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 10:58:36PM -0000, Michael Kay wrote:

> > I need to retrieve elements in document-order, but when
> > inside an xquery function I apply sth like:
> >
> > let $var := /AAA/*
> >
> > I get a non-deterministic sequence.
>
> That should return results in document order unless you have set ordering
> mode to "unordered" in the query prolog, or have an enclosing unordered{}
> expression.

<nitpick>
Though this is the way how all XQuery processors that I am aware of
behave, it is not actually demanded by the specs.  Rather, the default
setting of `ordering mode' (if nothing is set in the query prolog) is
implementation-defined (Sect. 4.7, XQuery 1.0 CR).
</nitpick>

Regards,

Jens

--
Jens Teubner
Technische Universitaet Muenchen, Department of Informatics

The purpose of most computer languages is to
lengthen your resume by a word and a comma.
                         -- Larry Wall