[xquery-talk] XQuery error codes and rewriting

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Thu Feb 2 13:53:05 PST 2006

The spec as written certainly allows implentations a great deal of freedom,
and I think it's true in theory that an implementation that returns 42 as
the result of (1 div 0) is conformant.

It's hard to see how to rule out such nonsense without also ruling out
perfectly sensible and reasonable optimizations like returning true as the
result of

some $x in (10, 20, 30, 40, 0) satisfies (10 div $x eq 1)

If anyone has any good ideas on how to distinguish the sensible from the
ridiculous, other than letting the market decide, please send your answers
on a postcard...

One approach, of course, is to use the test suite as the discriminator.

Another approach is the XPath 1.0 philosophy that errors don't happen, you
always get a defined result even if it's a blank screen. That of course has
the drawback that it's very hard to find out why you got a blank screen.

The rule about allowing rewrites that don't have the same error behavior is
mainly there for vendors who translate XQuery into SQL. There's a pragmatic
judgement here that users would rather have a query that executes in 1
second and gives the right answer in non-error cases, than a query that
spends 24 hours searching for possible errors before giving the same answer.