[xquery-talk] XQuery error codes and rewriting

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Thu Feb 2 22:06:10 PST 2006

> this has nothing to do with SQL and databases per se. It has
> something to do with do optimizations.

You're right and I'm right too: users have traditionally put performance
higher than conformance on their priority list when buying databases, and
the vendors have responded to that. This *is* something to do with databases
per se, because optimizations in a programming language usually only give
you a 2-5-fold speed-up, while in databases it can be thousand fold.

But I'm going to be very interested to see whether and how much this will
change.