[xquery-talk] string manipulation

Ryan Grimm grimm at oreilly.com
Sat Feb 4 23:28:15 PST 2006

Hi,
Fortunately XQuery has some really cool string manipulation functions.
One way to accomplish what you are looking for is:

string-join(tokenize("book/title/author", "/")[1 to last() - 1], "/")

This might look a bit more complicated then expected but it really
isn't bad if you break it down.
The tokenize() function will split up a string into tokens based on the
second argument.  So tokenize("book/title/author", "/") will return a
sequence of three tokens ("book", "title", "author").  The [1 to last()
- 1] part is going to select the first of these tokens through the
second to last one.  This will leave you with a sequence of: ("book",
"title").  Lastly we can join that sequence back together with the
string-join() function thus adding back in the /'s.
This will always strip off the rest of the string after the last "/"
regardless of how many /'s there are.  So if you have something like:
book/title/pubdate/author you will get back: book/title/pubdate.

Hope that helps.

--Ryan