[xquery-talk] string manipulation

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Sun Feb 5 23:03:14 PST 2006

> >> Unfortunatley, the predicate "[1 to last() - 1]" will not
> work
>
> The Mark Logic XQuery engine implements the May 2003 Working Draft of
> XQuery, and a lot has changed since then. The expression we
> are talking
> about is one of the things that has changed - the other
> XQuery engines
> you talk about seem to be specification complient in this respect.

Actually, I think the last draft that attached this meaning to the syntax
seq[N to M] was the June 2001 draft [1], and it wasn't even specified there,
it was just used for illustration in a single example. So any product that
implements this is rather a long way behind the specs.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-xquery-20010607/