[xquery-talk] performance figures for xquery processors

Ronald Bourret rpbourret at rpbourret.com
Tue Feb 7 12:00:43 PST 2006

Martin Probst wrote:

> I only know of one benchmark, called XMark, but it doesn't focus on Java
> processors, and is IMHO not all too significant - it's basically
> modelling an ERP system in XML by more or less trivially translating
> tables and tuples into XML elements, which is probably not an all too
> common use case for XQuery.

For a list of other benchmarks, see:

    http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDBLinks.htm#Benchmarks

But like all benchmarks, you should take them with a grain of salt.
What's important to you is whether or not a processor can perform your
queries fast enough for your needs.

I also agree with Martin's statement that you should look at native XML
databases. If you are running XQuery queries on documents received at
run time, such as routing documents based on the result of a query, they
won't help. But if you are querying documents stored over time, the
pre-parsing and indexing they provide will significantly improve your
query performance.

-- Ron