[xquery-talk] leaf values

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Sat Feb 11 21:28:41 PST 2006

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that $p contains three "paths".
XQuery variables contain values, which are sequences of nodes and atomic
values: a path is neither a node nor an atomic value.

Your term "leaf" is also a term that's not used in the XQuery data model.
You appear to be using it to mean "an element that has no elements among its
children". But the term could have other meanings, for example "an element
whose type is a simple type" - which isn't the same thing, because we can't
tell from this instance whether or not title is allowed (by the schema) to
have child elements.

Your output is also unclear because the start tags don't match the end tags
(in fact, they aren't proper XML at all).

Perhaps you want something like this:

let $b := book
for $p in ("title", "price")
return
<path path="book/{$p}">{
  for $d in distinct-values($b/*[name()=$p])
  return
    <value-per-path value="{$d}" count="count($b/*[name()=$p][.=$d])"/>
}</path>

But I'm still unclear what you mean about "leaf values".