[xquery-talk] SQL Server 2005

Ronald Bourret rpbourret at rpbourret.com
Sat Jan 21 23:59:39 PST 2006

Michael Rys wrote:

> 4. We have received little to no customer requests for the XML
> publishing functions so far.

Two questions and a comment:

1) Do your customers even know about SQL/XML? Remarkably little has been
written about it on the Web or elsewhere.

2) Does anybody know how widely SQL/XML functionality is used in the
databases that do support it (DB2, Oracle, Sybase, and DataDirect's JDBC
driver)? I would certainly use it if I had one of those databases, but
the few real-world customers I meet still seem to be writing custom code
to construct XML.

3) In all fairness, FOR SELECT EXPLICIT is only marginally less ugly
than SQL/XML, and neither comes close to XQuery, which is postively fun
to write.

-- Ron