[xquery-talk] XQuery spec and timeframes

Daniela Florescu dflorescu at mac.com
Mon Jan 23 16:26:07 PST 2006

Gentlepeople,

I read those messages with great interest. XQuery took a
long time to complete, no doubt about this.

However, Tim Bray and Adam Bosworth are wrong. Certain
things take the time they take, and not a day longer.

As far as I am concerned, this is the way I understand it.
Most of  those 8 years were spent creating a **culture**
more then a language,  by integrating input from several
communities: full text, documents, data processing, declarative
and functional languages, type systems, etc.

This cross-culture is probably the best outcome of those 8
years of hard  work. The information management of the 21st
century will need techniques from all those communities. So
sorry Adam and Tim, no, those 8 years were not lost, and 5
years wouldn't have been enough. Certain things take time.
Propagating knowledge takes time.

To finish my message: I am just coming out one of those
XQuery standard  meetings we had this morning....

My short advise for the participants to this thread would be:
if you do care about XQuery to finish faster,
please participate in one way or another (write tests, find
bugs, give implementation feedback, teach customers and students,
write articles and books,  explain the benefits, propose extensions,
 etc).

XQuery cannot be "done" by 5-10 people working in a corner,
but only by a large community that contributes.

Best regards,
Dana