[xquery-talk] SQL Server 2005

Michael Rys mrys at microsoft.com
Fri Jan 27 13:07:07 PST 2006

That is a multi-dimensional benefit/cost optimization.

If you have lots of relational business processes, you want to tie into
that.
If you often repurpose information in different contexts you want to
decompose the data and "normalize" it to the extend that it simplifies
that.

If you mainly need to find documents, you keep the information together.

If your datastructure is semi-structure or markup structured, you want
to keep it in XML.

Then there are query and update performance/loads, concurrency control
issues etc to be taken into account.

Just normal data modeling decisions ;)

Best regards
Michael