[xquery-talk] Learn XQuery from XPath 2.0

Michael Kay mhk at mhk.me.uk
Sun Mar 12 23:17:40 PST 2006

I'm not aware of anyone who has approached teaching the language from this
angle: many tutorials assume ignorance of XPath 1.0, let alone 2.0. This
reflects that fact that many people seem to be coming to XQuery without
previous XPath experience (in fact, a lot of them come with no real XML
experience).

The differences are essentially:

1. FLWOR expressions
2. node construction expressions
3. function declarations
4. the Query Prolog

(2) and (3) are extremely similar to their XSLT 2.0 equivalents; (4) is
largely administrivia; so the real meat is (1) - FLWOR expressions. There
are a few tutorials on FLWOR, for example my article at

http://www.stylusstudio.com/xquery_flwor.html