[xquery-talk] flowrrr - how to structure a function?

Robert Koberg rob at koberg.com
Tue Oct 17 08:27:07 PDT 2006

Peter wrote:
> Rob,
>
> Without trying it, what you have written seems fine to me. You could inline
> some things but it should, at least in theory, not make a difference
>
> One thing to be aware of is that you have no guarantee (again in theory)
> that the order in which function calls are evaluated match the order in
> which you write them.
>
> So theoretically an XQuery engine might choose to first evaluate
>
> session:set-attribute($project-key,
> $group-name),response:redirect-to(xs:anyURI("./project/"))
>
> before it evaluates the other function calls in the deepest return.

hmmm... if I understand correctly, that would suck. I suppose it would
be implementation dependent (I am using eXist), but I would hope that it
would be in order so a redirect would happen after the session variables
are set - or do the redirect but still set the session variables ??

I will ask on the eXist list what can be expected.

thanks,
-Rob