[xquery-talk] contains and tokenize

David Sewell dsewell at virginia.edu
Mon Oct 23 12:07:34 PDT 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Cindy Girard wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I have the following where clause:
>
>   where contains(upper-case($text), upper-case($keyword))
>
>   It works fine, except that it returns partial word matching. To only
>   match whole words, I'm pretty sure I need to use tokenize(), but I'm
>   not sure how to put it all together.

You could use an appropriate regular expression with matches(). For
example:

  where matches($text, concat('\W', $keyword, '\W'), 'i')

I.e., match a string that contains non-word character + keyword +
non-word character, and do this case-insensitively.

PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA