[xquery-talk] Top N Most Common Mistakes

John Snelson john.snelson at oracle.com
Sun Aug 5 19:46:41 PDT 2007

The three biggest user mistakes I think I see are:

1) Operator precedence after "return".
2) Use of old XQuery syntax from old tutorials ("define" vs "declare" etc.)
3) Use of ".../text()" when the user really means ".../data()" or
".../string()" (or should rely on implicit atomization). The trouble is
that the answer (after implicit atomization and casting) is often the
same, but the meaning is entirely different. This can cause schema-less
XML databases like Berkeley DB XML to be unable to use it's indexes in
these cases.

John